Asen Vassilev, the co-chairman of ‘We continue the change’, has rejected the offer made by GERB’s leader and former Prime minister Boyko Borissov to form a Euro-Atlantic government with clear priorities. Borissov’s GERB party sealed their victory with 24.6% votes in elections conducted in Bulgaria on October 2 to elect the members of the 48th national assembly. But it’s not enough to form a government. Vassilev announced in a press conference that his party will remain Opposition as they didn’t want to join the coalition of a corrupt leader.
Vassilev asserts that having a stable administration at present is very crucial for Bulgaria. After thinking a lot, Vassilev and his party decided to remain as an opposition. He emphasizes that their party will be a useful opposition and not obstruct the creation of a cabinet.
Kiril Petkov, second WCC co-chairman, explained the reason for rejecting Borissov’s offer. He stated that their party have good intentions, and one day, it will be introduced and voted on in the parliament. Their primary concern is to ensure the survival of Bulgarians in upcoming winters. Gas crises, inflation and other issues might get more problematic during the winter.
Following is the list of principles Kiril Petkov support, including:
- The law creates an investigative anti-corruption commission;
- A judge in Bulgaria’s probe into the chief prosecutor;
- As of January 1, 2023, the average wage, which is equal to BGN 860 at the moment, should be 50% of the minimum wage;
- A 20% rise in pensions to keep pace with inflation;
- The redefining of energy poverty;
- Two consumption-based rates for electricity, water, and heating;
- A 50% increase in the tax benefit for families with kids;
- A 250 BGN per megawatt-hour cap on the cost of power for enterprises;
- Gasoline price ceiling;
- The pay for teachers should remain at 125% of the average wage.
- The approval of 22 laws relating to executing the Recovery and Sustainability Plan.
Kiril Petkov argued that the parliament should address the problem of new planes rather than the caretaker government because that is their responsibility. He explained that the rumours about the American embassy urging them to form a government with GERB were false.