NewsThousands of migrants were removed from a temporary camp...

Thousands of migrants were removed from a temporary camp in Mexico

-

Mexican officials dismantled a temporary migrant camp near the Guatemalan border in the country’s south on Thursday, according to government sources and Reuters witnesses.

Many of the migrants, including families with children, had been waiting for months in the Tapachula camp, which some referred to as a “prison” owing to the filthy or confined conditions. The camp has been used by Mexican authorities to confine migrants and restrict their movement.

Before the camp at Tapachula was dismantled, Mexico’s National Migration Institute (INM) allowed about 3,000 migrants permission to finalise their travel permits, allowing them to depart the camp.

Migrants, largely from Central America and the Caribbean, exited the camp after receiving a QR code from INM officials, which they used to register for the “regularisation” procedure.

According to a government official and migrants who handed Reuters their credentials, they now have a month to finish their visa process, which might include applying for asylum in one of 14 states. Migrants will have to locate housing on their own.

“I’m going to Sinaloa with my own money to seek the humanitarian visa,” said a Cuban woman who did not want to be identified. She claimed she waited at the camp for more than two weeks while waiting for her QR code to allow her to continue her journey to the United States.

This month, Mexico hastened the movement of tens of thousands of migrants to other locations, vowing to regularise their stay amid a record number of individuals coming in the country in 2021 with the goal of crossing the border into the United States.

Hundreds of migrants, on the other hand, claimed that they had not received a QR code on Thursday but were nevertheless compelled to leave the camp. It’s unknown whether or not housing aid will be offered.

Lester Centeno, a Nicaraguan migrant, said he came in Tapachula looking for refuge but received neither a QR code nor a transfer to another district.

Centeno claimed of immigration officers, “They warned me they were going to deport me if I didn’t leave here (from the camp).”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Bulgarian PM and North Macedonia agrees to redouble efforts to boost battered ties

On Tuesday, the prime ministers of North Macedonia, Dimitar Kovacevski and Bulgaria, Kiril Petkov, agreed to improve the Balkan...

Pope Francis’ aide Cardinal Pietro Parolin tests positive for Covid-19

On Tuesday, a spokesman for the Holy See said that the Vatican’s advisor and top diplomat to Pope Francis,...

Covid-19: Bulgaria sets daily record; around 10,000 citizens tested positive in a day

The situation of Covid-19 is getting worst day by day in Bulgaria. On Tuesday, the nation set a daily...

Bulgarian govt amends travel protocols for red-zoned countries

After a massive protest by the country’s hospitality industry and winter resorts, the health ministry has decided to amend...

Twindemic: Threat returns in EU with surge in Covid-19 and flu cases

The “twindemic” threat in Europe has returned at a faster than expected rate during this winter season. The concerns...

Covid-19: Bulgaria reports 2,379 new cases & 44 deaths in past 24 hrs

According to the statics shared by the unified information portal in January, Bulgaria reported 2,379 new Covid-19 cases out...

Must read

The govt of The Republic of Vanuatu to join hands with FACT to reassess their Citizenship by Investment Programme

Recognizing the significance and impact of the Citizenship by...

Price of Wentworth Estate’s homes to be double by 2024-25

News by ZEBVO: Top-notched amenities are among those things...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you